The Bytecoin Development team is happy to announce that we’ve reached another important frontier in our yearly Roadmap and we are happy to present you with the most essential updates that you’ve been waiting for. Let us help make you familiar with the progress that we’ve been working on for past several few months.
To start with, one of our main objectives has been to create/make/write a brand new API. The main difference between the old and the new API is it’s simplicity. While the old API was quite hard to work with, and as a result, also hard to integrate, the new programming interface allows anyone who would like to take Bytecoin as a basic payment approach much easier. Moreover, several modifications have made the whole software more stable and reliable than ever. The new Wiki has already been officially released, so everyone who’s willing to integrate with Bytecoin is welcome there.
As for the back-end part of the update (which as always, is divided in the bytecoindand walletd parts), the Bytecoin Development Team has decided to implement the following features to improve the speed and reliability of the software. In addition to this, the release of this software has also appeared in our new GitHub Repository:
- LMDB library as a standard to optimise the blockchain size from ~ 50GB to ~ 25GB
- Instant starting and stopping daemon
- Parallel “torrent-like” downloading of the database which allows user to download blocks at the same time from different peers
- The new API has been simplified and it’s easier to integrate with it. Ports and endpoints remain the same.
The updates above will help make the BCN software much more user friendly and stable. As a result, there’s almost 0% corruption of the database. In addition, the LMDB and the new downloader working in unison, have reduced the total sync time (the average sync time for SSD is 2 hours, HDD is 8 hours).
- Earlier the wallet file was used to store keys, the history of transactions, and the cache. In the new walletd the wallet file contains keys only. The history and cache have been divided into their own folders. For this reason the wallet file won’t increase it’s size. The wallet file is extremely compact, easier to backup, and almost completely immune to corruption. You can create your cache, without touching keys and/or history. The new wallet file is compatible with the old one.
- Send Proof. It’s a cryptographic object which is able to prove that the creator of this object has really sent the coins. For Example: In case Alice has sent the coins to Bob, then Bob can ask Alice for the proof sending. This is a method of solving disputes between companies and users, as far as Cryptonote’s blockchain isn’t able to trace the transaction, neither senders nor the receivers address.
The front-end part has been updated significantly as well and mostly influenced by the major back-end implementations. The new design and variety of new features have been made available to implement by Bytecoin’s community of enthusiasts, working in tandem with the Dev Team. Take a brief look at the GUI updates:
- Early support for dynamic fees has been included. The size of the fee depends on the market’s overload/loading/etc.
- Detailed info about your coins such as spendable dust, and locked or unconfirmed coins, etc.
- Added HTTP basic authentication
- Fixed CSRF vulnerability
- Console available on the dashboard. Monitor your daemon activity and easily make reports by copying the stats to a clipboard
- Unified and simplified API (The GUI client now works with the same API as the exchange platforms and merchants)
- Contacts section has been improved. Now the contacts are stored separately from the .wallet file to make its file smaller
- Redirect the blockchain to the folder you’d like to store it
- Added HTTPS support for connections between walletd and bytecoind. It gives the user the guarantee that he’s connecting to the desired bytecoind
- Remote connections between walletd and bytecoind - “Desktop Lite Mode”. That means you don’t have to download the entire blockchain but to connect to the preferred node.
To summarize, this major release has led us to one of the most important milestones Bytecoin has ever experienced. With the brand new and improved software versions Bytecoin has every available chance to enhance its position in the crypto world. We’ve built an absolutely new, privacy-based financial system and then shaped our codebase in a revolutionary way. Of course, we have a lot of groundbreaking features to implement, but now it’s YOUR turn to spread the word about Bytecoin. Make it happen.